- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- A pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup medium yellow cornmeal
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons brandy or orange-flavored liqueur
- 1/2 cup unbalanched almonds
- 1/2 cup pistachios
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
Lightly grease a baking sheet. Cream together the butter and the sugar in a bowl. Sift the flour, salt, baking powder and coriander into the bowl. Add the lemon rind, cornmeal, egg and brandy or liqueur and mix together to make a soft dough. Stir in the nuts until evenly combined. Halve the mixture. Shape each half into a flat sausage about 9 inches wide. Bake for about 30 minutes, until risen and firm. Remove from the oven. When cook, cut each sausage diagonally into 12 thin slices. Return to the baking sheet and cook for another 10 minutes, until crisp.
Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to one week.
Use a sharp, serrated knife to slice the cooled biscotti, otherwise they will crumble.